10 Simple Tips to Secure Desktops/ Laptops from Malware [Updated 2022]
Desktops/ laptops are not just used by engineers but also used by the general public. But the question is, are people securely using desktops/ laptops? We often frustrate the slow processing speed of desktops/ laptops. The reason may be you are not using desktops/ laptops properly, or malware is there on your desktop/laptop.
Below is the list of 10 Simple Tips to Secure Desktops/ Laptops from Malware:
- Use up-to-date software - Panacea for most of the problems. If you are using up to date, most of the issues automatically sort out.
- Never download pirated software - Purchase genuine software instead of free download. Pirated software has a high chance of inbuilt malware.
- Visit genuine websites - Access website that not supplied malware into your desktop/laptops. Generally, websites with too many pop-up ads deliver malware to your system.
- Backup your data - Always take periodic backup and keep it safe. You prioritize data based on value and make up a plan for taking regular backup.
- Use strong passwords - Use strong passwords with a combination of characters, numbers, and special characters.
- Enable two-factor authentication - Two-factor authentication is a great way to reduce the occurrence of compromise your account.
- Ignore public internet wi-fi connection - Bad people may intercept your traffic and access your secrets such as passwords, social security numbers, etc.
- Use good antivirus - Install it and see the difference. Good antivirus software identifies bad programs and safe desktops/laptops on it.
- Always use a non-admin account - Best practice to use desktop/ laptop in a low privilege account. Never use an admin account with full admin rights.
- Ignore attaching USB drives - USB drives can copy malware into your desktops/ laptops; hence use it securely. Use cloud services for sharing data instead of using USB drives.
If you follow simple steps, your desktop/laptop has a high chance of not getting malware. But it isn't easy to follow easy tips. My advice is to adhere above tips and save your system from malware.
Subscribe us to receive more such articles updates in your email.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments section below. Nothing gives me greater joy than helping my readers!
Disclaimer: This tutorial is for educational purpose only. Individual is solely responsible for any illegal act.