What is Unified Threat Management?
Unified Threat Management, also abbreviated as UTM, is considered as a complete solution to cybersecurity. It provides a lot of security features that secure internal networks from cyber threats. It is ideal for those who want a single hardware device for all security-related issues.
These are the security features of UTM device. UTM may have some or all security features as listed below:
- Network Firewall: Analyzes traffic and filters it as per configuration.
- Router/Switch: A router is used to connect two different networks and a switch is used to connect different systems in the same network. This feature allows UTM is very cost-effective.
- Spyware Detection: Spyware is a malicious program that collects personal information or monitors internet browsing activities. If a UTM solution contains this feature, it detects spyware and protects servers in data centers.
- Malware Inspection: Malware is a general term used for the virus, worms, and other malicious programs created to damage assets and servers. UTM solution helps in the detection of malware and drops it accordingly.
- IP Filter: This feature filters the network traffic based on source IP.
- URL Filtering: This feature filters the URL based on company policies.
- Bandwidth Shaper: This feature limits the rate of network traffic by manipulation and prioritization of packets.
- Spam Detection: This feature helps in the identification of spam email messages based on the spam block list maintained by the UTM manufacturer.
- Intrusion Detection System (IDS): This feature alerts the network administrator if an attacker tries to compromise the servers.
- Intrusion Prevention System (IPS): It examines the network traffic, it identifies potential threats, and responds to them swiftly.
- Security Information and Event Management (SIEM): This feature provides real-time monitoring of security alerts generated by internal servers and network devices.
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) support: It helps to extend the private network and accessing the internet in a secure and anonymous manner.
- Deep Packet Inspection: It helps in examining the network packets based on specific data or code payloads and drop or allow it accordingly.
- Gateway Antivirus: This helps the server administrator to trigger the scanning of all the systems in the network for the identification of malicious programs.
Is it a perfect solution to any cyber threat?
UTM, as try to give one solution for any type of cyber threat. But, as it tries to stop every cyberattack, it is not a perfect solution for every cyber threat. But definitely, it is a good addition in infrastructure to protect the network.
Subscribe us to receive more such articles updates in your email.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments section below. Nothing gives me greater joy than helping my readers!
Disclaimer: This tutorial is for educational purpose only. Individual is solely responsible for any illegal act.